Discord is in high growth mode, doubling its size in the past 3 years, as they gear up for future IPO. Discord’s team measured a total of 300 employees at the start of 2021 and finished the year at more than 700 employees – with plans to grow the team to 1500 by end of 2022.
Discord is the best voice, video, and text community app that helps friends and people come together to hang out and explore interests – from artists to activists, study groups, sneaker-heads, plant parents, hiking clubs, and more.
With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities (“servers”) and 4 billion minutes in server conversations daily; Discord has grown to become one of the world’s most popular communication services in the world. But they are not done yet.
Discord was founded in 2015 and currently has over 700 fully remote employees. Their most recent round of funding was Series H of $500M with lead investors from Dragoneer Investment Group, totaling Discords overall funding to ~$1B. This round of funding will allow Discord the ability to continue its investments in making the best community app; improving its ability to keep people safe online, organization of how users communicate and investing more into their subscription service Nitro.
Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead offers a premium subscription called Nitro ($9.99/month or $99.99/year) that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations. Another unique feature of Nitro is its server-boosting add-on, allowing communities to purchase extra features and perks for their personal Discord groups.
Discord is still a relatively new name to many people. At a first glance, some might think Discord to be a Zoom/Slack competitor, while others might solely think it is a platform for gamers.
Yes, Discord was originally designed by its co-founders to address and solve a gaming problem; to create a safe place to communicate with others. But the concept did not stop at gaming,
Discord is an infinitely evolving community platform dedicated to innovating and improving its services, based on the needs of the growing communities.
Why Work at Discord?
- Individual & Family Health Plans (Medical, Dental, & Vision) – each at low to no premium costs
- Health Savings Account (FSA)
- Total Wellness Program – physical, mental/emotional, and financial wellness programs; additional $375/quarter for wellness items not covered by Discord (favorite yoga studio, boxing classes, or gear/equipment).
- Gender Affirmation Fund – up to $20K in reimbursement for gender-affirming procedures and care
- Fertility Benefits – up to $20K in reimbursable benefits for fertility and adoption-related services
- 16 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, and birthdays off
- $100/year for desk accessories
- $325 for a nice set of swanky headphones of your choice
- Pet Insurance
- $200 per pay period meal stipend
- $250/quarter in Care Credit to be sued to book caregivers on Urbansitter